I have a 2 month old machine –dell 3620 i7 7770k windows 10 civil3d 2018 running your .52 service pack 16gb memory gtx1060.
No matter what the user does he can’t get it to generate a "sheet view" [ed] without going into a massive memory leak (quickly grows from 1 gig used to 4 within about 2 minutes and continues climbing)
...once title block goes away nothing else happens even leaving it over night – this is ONLY when there are a lot of xrefs – HOWEVER the profile works fine with no xrefs in a new drawing.
Thing’s we’ve tried:
Almost identical computer with a 7700 instead of K series – 1060 gtx , same driver version on video card, etc.
Reinstalling civil3d, deleting ASEcivil17 folder and re-extracting from zips
Installing older video drivers cleanly, and matching video driver versions of working machines.
Deleting temp files from c:\windows\temp and c:\users\(theuser)\appdata\local\temp
Updating bios firmware version to current for dell 3620
Any ideas on how to fix this?..."
Based on the indications you've given me, here are a few recommendations that "may" speed things up.
Purge unused objects in Xrefs
Many times I've seen templates used for each and every drawing. Hundreds or even thousands of layers are present in EACH drawing that may actually use a handful of those layers. Many of them are present just to support built-in styles that are never used. Check that you're NOT doing this. That route of workflow is not the most prudent. If you don't purge all those unused objects, by the time you xref all those drawings into your improvement sheet, you've amassed a GINORMOUS number of layers! Even though they contain no objects actually in practical use, they occupy memory...
Disable Layer Filters
Before creating the Sheet View with ASE, turn off all layer filters. This crash create a processing bottleneck when ASE attempts to manage the layers.
I'll continue to research more potential solutions & post them here.
Please let one of us know if you have any success (or not) with my recommendations.
"... I would agree xrefs are creating a problem except that 3 very similar [speed] machines are all doing it with [xrefs] perfectly and in a minute or so..."
"... I was under the impressions that it was hardware but I’ve tried 3 different devices. Including one matching hardware to a working device. So I’m ruling hardware out for now.
The dataset was tested on 2 other desktops and 2 other laptops – and worked fine.
I’ve disabled antivirus and tried.
Also [...] detached xrefs on his machine and the profile gets created, but that’s time consuming to re-attach..."
"... Have you tried completely rebuilding the Civil 3D user profile from scratch?
When they get corrupted, they affect ASE dramatically creating problematic behavior that appears to be related to or caused by ASE but is not..."
"... Problem resolved when removing [AutoCAD] update 1.1 [...] Profile is now being generated..."
Thank you for this info. I went back and recreated new drawings to test again. Turns out that if the ASE profile drawing was created in 2016 and saved up causes the slowdown in the commands mentioned above in the sheets. For example moving the Grid took anywhere from 48-55 seconds using the old profiles. Simply re-pathing the profile1 from the old profile to the new profile, changed this time to 5-6 seconds. I tested the new profile drawing using an ACAD template with 40 layers and Civil 3d template with 250 layers. Both templates were 2018 and gave the same results.